Preventing Electrical Fires with These Safety Tips
by Ryan DalPezzo, Owner
Electrical fires are often thought of as unpredictable and uncontrollable disasters. However, with a few safety tips and precautions, most electrical fires can be prevented. Let’s discuss some of the best ways to prevent electrical fires in your home with the help of electrical contractors.
Keep Electrical Outlets and Cords Clear of Flammable Objects
If there’s nothing to set on fire, it’s much less likely an electrical fire will start. Of course, it’s always a good idea to keep flammable items like blankets, rugs, and curtains away from outlets and cords.
All Small Appliances Should be Unplugged if Not in Use
When you’re finished using a small appliance, unplug it from the outlet. Leaving it plugged in can create a risk of overheating and sparking, both of which can lead to electrical fires.
Try Not to Use Space Heaters
Space heaters are not as efficient as traditional heating systems, and they can become very hot when they are in use. Try to avoid using them, as they can be a major fire hazard.
Avoid Overloading Outlets
When you overload an outlet, it can cause the wiring to overheat, which can then lead to an electrical fire. Make sure to only plug in one device per outlet.
When It’s Time to Get Rid of Appliances
When you’re done with an appliance, have it disposed of properly. Don’t leave it plugged in or try to repair it yourself, as this can cause a fire risk. Here are a few signs that your appliance needs replacing:
Sparking: If you see sparks coming from an outlet or appliance cord, unplug the device immediately and have it inspected by a professional.
Electrical Cords Fraying: Frayed cords can spark and cause an electrical fire. If you notice fraying or wear and tear, it’s time to get a new cord or device.
If Lights Flicker When They Are Turned On: If your lights flicker when they are turned on, this could be a sign of a wiring problem. Have a professional come and inspect your wiring to ensure that it is safe and up to code.
It Heats Up Too Much: If you notice that an electrical appliance is getting too hot, unplug it immediately and have it inspected by a professional. Overheating can cause an electrical fire.
Schedule Regular Maintenance and Inspections
Make sure to have a professional come to inspect your wiring, outlets, and appliances regularly. This will help to ensure that everything is up to code and functioning properly.
Schedule Maintenance with RD Matthews Electrical Contracting and Avoid Electrical Fires
When something goes wrong, an electrical fire can quickly become a disaster. Schedule regular maintenance with RD Matthews Electrical Contracting to keep your home safe from electrical fires. Our experienced residential electrical contractors can inspect the wiring of your home and make sure that everything is up to code and functioning properly. Contact us to schedule an appointment or request a service today.