Survival Tips for When the Power is Out in Northern Virginia
If you are one of the many people in Northern Virginia that might find themselves without power from time to time, there are a few things you should keep in mind to make the situation a bit easier. First and foremost, is safety. You should consider all flammable lighting and heat sources to be potential hazards. This means no candles, kerosene lamps, or anything else that could start a fire.
Before looking for things to do to improve your comfort, you should secure the house and your personal safety above all else. Once everything is safe, you’ll need to contact electrical contractors in Northern Virginia to take care of any problems. Here’s what to do.
First Check the Fuse Box or Breaker Panel
If the power is out, the first thing you should do is check your fuse box or breaker panel. If a fuse has blown, you will need to replace it with a new one. If a circuit breaker has tripped, you will need to reset it. Keep in mind that if a breaker trips repeatedly, there may be an electrical problem that needs to be addressed by a professional.
Avoid All Flammable Heat Sources
The most important thing to remember is to avoid using any lighting or heat sources that could start a fire. This includes candles, kerosene lamps, and anything else that uses an open flame. If using an emergency generator, you should also avoid using any electrical devices that generate heat, such as space heaters. If you must use a light source, make sure it is one that doesn’t produce any sparks or flames.
Don’t Eat Any Spoiled Food
Any food that has been stored in a refrigerator or freezer can spoil quickly once the power is out. Throw away any food that has been sitting out for more than two hours, and be especially careful with meat, poultry, seafood, and eggs. These foods can spoil quickly and can cause food poisoning.
Don’t Keep Appliances Plugged Into Outlets
If the power is out for an extended period of time, you should unplug all electrical appliances to avoid damage from power surges when the power comes back on. This includes your TV, computer, fridge, and anything else that uses electricity. You should also turn off any gas-powered appliances, such as your stove or furnace.
Why It’s So Important to Unplug Appliances
When the power goes out, a couple of things happen. First, any electrical appliances that are plugged in will continue to try to draw power from the electrical grid. This can cause a power surge when the power comes back on, which can damage your appliances. To avoid this, unplug all electrical appliances and gas-powered appliances until the power comes back on.
Stay Alert for Strange Smells
If you smell something strange, it could be a gas leak. If you think there might be a gas leak, open all the doors and windows to ventilate the area and then leave immediately. Do not turn on any lights or electrical devices, even if there is no power, as this could create a spark that ignites the gas just by flipping a switch.
Keep Flashlights and Batteries Handy in Case the Power is Out
You should always keep a flashlight and extra batteries on hand in case of an emergency. This way, you’ll be able to see in the dark if the power goes out. Be sure to test the flashlight regularly to make sure it is in working order.
Don’t Siphon Gasoline for Emergency Generator
If you run out of gasoline for your generator, do not try to siphon it from another vehicle. This is extremely dangerous and can lead to fires, explosions, or poisoning.
Avoid Standing Water
Standing water can be electrically charged and pose a serious hazard. Do not walk through standing water if you can help it, and avoid using electrical appliances near standing water. If you must use an electrical appliance near standing water, make sure it is properly grounded.
The Best and Most Efficient Light Sources During a Power Outage
If you need to use a light source during a power outage while using an emergency generator, the best and most efficient option is to use LED lights wherever possible. LED lights use very little electricity compared to regular light sources.
How Electrical Contractors in Northern Virginia Can Help
When the power goes out, there isn’t much you can do. Often, you need to wait for power to be restored by the city in the case of a storm or other inclement weather. If it is localized, then the utility company should be called or notified somehow about the area’s issue.
However, while you are waiting, there are several benefits of calling an electrical contractor that might help. First, electrical contractors can help you assess the damage. If there are downed power lines or damaged electrical equipment, it is best to have a professional assess the situation before trying to fix it yourself. Second, electrical contractors can provide generators and other temporary power solutions.
If you need power for your home, electrical contractors can provide a temporary solution until the power is restored. Finally, electrical contractors can help you with any repairs that need to be made once the power is back on.
If The Power Goes Out, Make Sure to Contact Electrical Contractors in Northern Virginia, RD Matthews Electrical
No matter what the cause, if the power goes out in your home or business, it is important to contact electrical contractors in Northern Virginia. RD Matthews Electrical Contractors can help you with any repairs or temporary power solutions you need. Give us a call today at 540-840-2933!